Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:12:44 +0100
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server
References:  <4EE1EAFE.3070408@m5p.com> <CAJ-FndDniGH8QoT=kUxOQ%2BzdVhWF0Z0NKLU0PGS-Gt=BK6noWw@mail.gmail.com> <4EE2AE64.9060802@m5p.com> <4EE88343.2050302@m5p.com> <CAFHbX1%2B5PttyZuNnYot8emTn_AWkABdJCvnpo5rcRxVXj0ypJA@mail.gmail.com> <4EE933C6.4020209@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <CAPjTQNEJDE17TLH-mDrG_-_Qa9R5N3mSeXSYYWtqz_DFidzYQw@mail.gmail.com> <20111215024249.GA13557@icarus.home.lan> <4EE9A2A0.80607@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <CACqU3MWiMpUNJ9d2t=OxfDHD47evvkgKcwLkiNBgEheWFJrzjw@mail.gmail.com>

Arnaud Lacombe schreef:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM, O. Hartmann
> <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
>> Just saw this shot benchmark on Phoronix dot com today:
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNzA
>>
> it might be worth highlighting that despite Oracle Linux 6.1 Server is
> using a kernel + compiler almost 2 years old, it still manages to
> out-perform the bleeding edge FreeBSD :-)
>
> Now, from what I've read so far in this thread, it seems that a lot of
> people are still in abnegation...
>
> my 0.2c,
>   - Arnaud
>
>> It may be worth to discuss the sad performance of FBSD in some parts of
>> the benchmark. A difference of a factor 10 or 100 is simply far beyond
>> disapointing, it is more than inacceptable and by just reading those
>> benchmarks, I'd like to drop thinking of using FreeBSD even as a backend
>> server in scientific and business environments. In detail, some of the
>> SciMark benches look disappointing. The overall image can't help over
>> the fact that in C-Ray FreeBSD is better performing.
>>
>>  From the compiler, I'd like say there couldn't be a drop of more than 10
>> - 15% in performance - but not 10 or 100 times.
>>
>> I'm just thinking about the discussion of SCHED_ULE and all the saur
>> spots we discussed when I stumbled over the test.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Well it is just the way it is.
I must say that every time FreeBSD comes out bad, there are always
comments on how the benchmark is done, but NOT in the case when FreeBSD
comes out better.
I remember the MySQL and ULE benchmarkings.
FreeBSD was quicker than Linux...
Nobody complains from the FreeBSD side that we did not use same gcc as
Linux and what ever more, and maybe the benchmarks where more equil, do
we care?
Is FreeBSD not doing the job anymore for you if it is, or if it is not?
Do you want to run Linux because it comes out better in benchmarks? i
for certain do not.
And to be honest, i did try Linux because of the bad samba performance
of FreeBSD, but i take the lower performance over the whole Linux thing.
Linux is just not my cup of thee. Why? feeling, community ? i do not know.

See it from the bright side, there is much more room for improvements. :D

I think that FreeBSD should not worry that much about benchmarks.
Sure it is strange that FreeBSD shows such a great gap, but we all know
that FreeBSD needs some tuning.
Also it is know that FreeBSD is quite conservative with some default
settings.
Every now and then someone complains about this.
MAXPHYS is such a value that comes to mind.
What most people seems to be doing after installing FreeBSD is set some
network tunings in /etc/sysctl.conf. and other stuff.

Maybe it is time to overlook the default settings, and make them more
suitable for machines of today.

The argument is mostly that FreeBSD also needs to run on older hardware,
but if you use amd64, you already have some 'newer' hardware.

just me  ...

regards
Johan Hendriks