Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:29:52 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: Idiot on the loose

Hans N Gruber wrote / a ecrit:

> 	Ok, so every list needs a few idiots. I had to download the bin
> files one at a time and install FreeBSD from a DOS partition. In order to
> save space, I did not install the man pages. Not a smart move considering
> I'm a UNIX/LINUX/BSD
> ignoramus extraordinaire. Well, I managed to install everything all
> right, and I'm going to the library first thing in the morning to get
> some books on UNIX and GNU, but I have a couple of questions that I think
> will not be covered in books.

Some of them are. Actually most of them. You should at least read  the
handbook (better read the on-line version at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook since it's usually more up-to date and
complete  than  the  version  which  comes  on  CD). If you're an Unix
novice,  you  WILL  want  to  buy  a good book of Unix basics (see the
bibliography section in the handbook) else you won't survive.

I  have no idea as to whether this list need idiots or not (I am *not*
implying that you are one). What I know is that we need people reading
documentation before asking.

Now back to your questions:

> 	I managed to create a file called "first file" (yes, with a
> space), and cannot delete it as FreeBSD is treating as two files which
> don't exist.

Type:

rm "first file"

at the shell's prompt (*with* the quotes)

> Nextly, I created a user on the system (which is me), mainly
> because it seemed at the time (during install), that it was the thing to
> do. How do I log on as admin instead of user? ( did I mention I am an
> idiot?)

The  admin  user is called "root" on every Unix I know. So you have to
log  in  as  root  for installation and administration tasks, at least
until the system is reasonably set  up.  After  that,  it's  generally
recommended to use the "su" command whenever you  need  it  from  your
regular user account (go read what "man su" says).

If you followed the default installation steps, the "root" account has
no password, so you don't need to type one. Of course you *do* need to
set a reasonable password at once (do that with the "passwd" command).

> Thirdly, I wish to install the man pages. My disk space situation
> is  looking pretty grim. I already have the minimum install, but is there
> any way to streamline by removing unnecessary files? I am running single
> user PC, no internet, no xWindows, no nothing except G++, the editor,
> basic commands. I don't need games, bells or whistles. Any suggestions
> would be helpful.

Type:

pkg_info -a -I

to  get  a  list  of installed packages and consider removing what you
don't need. Think twice before removing  anything.  You  could  render
your system unusable.

Check  the  nearest PC shop for the price of disks too, and compare it
to the time you are spending trying to squeeze things.

Good luck,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE