Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:01:17 -0800
From:      Thomas Hargrove <ciagon@quiknet.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NAT

Hi,
    I was wondering if you guys needed a section about how to set up NAT on
a FreeBSD machine to use it as a gateway for cable modems or DSL.  I don't
know how specific you like to get.  All the parts for doing it are covered
in the manual, setting up ipfw in the kernel and recompiling, but it's not
in one simple step by step format that would be pretty useful (at least
would have been to me when I first ventured into using BSD).  It seem that a
lot of people are running into these problems since more and more are
getting some kind of fast internet connection (DSL or cable modem) and want
to use more than one machine on the net at a time.  I have set up many
gateways (for both Linux and FreeBSD) and I must say I prefer FreeBSD
(mostly for it's stability and ease of use).  I've configured about 10
machines in the same way, and would be glad to write a step-by-step
instruction on exactly what needs to be done to use a FreeBSD machine as a
gateway.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrove