Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 22:49:15 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        alcotraz@netone.com.tr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel

Hi alcotraz,

> Hello
> I`ve been using linux for a long time and i want to experience
>FreeBSD. I
> have 2 questions.
> 1. Can i use kernels i`ve been using for linux @ bsd? how? i`ve
>found some
> documents for configuring kernel but no docs explaining me how to
>copy a
> new kernel, how to update symlinks etc..

In short - No.

In slightly longer form, GNU/Linux & FreeBSD are quite different
Operating Systems. They are functionally quite similar (although, I will
admit to preferring FeeBSD ;'), but at the kernel level they are quite
distinct. So no, you can't just pull out the old GNU/Linux 'engine' and
bolt in a bright shiny new FreeBSD 'engine'.

It's a matter of get the CD (the best way to do it) and install from
scratch. Which is not to say that you have to abandon everything you've
ever done in Linux - there is a Linuxulator in FreeBSD that emulates RH
Linux.

> 2. You know in linux, when i try to type for exapmle
>aaaaaaaaaaaa, i used
> to type aaa and press tab, so it was auto typing the rest. Is
>there anyway
> i can make FreeBSD do this?

You sure can! That's a function of the shell program you're using - in
the Linux world BASH is typically installed by default, and I have BASH
on my FreeBSD boxes in my user accounts. (ZSH also does this, as do many
other shells)

> thank you very much

You're welcome. Have lots of fun with FreeBSD.

haxxa