Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 23:18:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE init [was RE: DCOP server problem...]

:
:Hello all,
:   I have seen quite a few posts in here about problems with KDE.  I personally
:still have the problem that KDE will show its splash screen, get to
:"initializing peripherals" and just sit there.  I have noticed a few PR's,
:etc., and KDE's bug database had at least on message claiming this to be a
:problem with FreeBSD's threads.  I have gone so far as to remove every port
:that KDE depends on (except X) and rebuilt through the ports, but I just
:haven't had any luck.  I am running Xfree86 3.3.6 (built from ports) over a
:year ago, and KDE2 cvsuped many times, but the latest has been 7 days ago.  Any
:known workarounds/fixes would be most appreciated.
:
:regards,
:Galen Sampson

    I'm having weird problems with kde2 as well.. it keeps screwing up
    the fonts.  It forgets about font families, changes my defaults, and
    does all sorts of other nasty things.

    I noticed that when I did a 'make' in the port for kde2, that it didn't
    bother updating older kde2-related libraries that were already installed
    but out of date, so it was running the kde2 desktop binaries against
    older shared libraries.  It took a while to go through all the ports
    and deinstall them and now I am rebuilding the whole thing from scratch
    again.  Maybe it will work better with all the shared libs synced up.

    I've actually noticed this with ports before... there needs to be a
    make target to tell ports to upgrade everything that is out of date or
    something like that.  I dunno.

						-Matt