Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:06:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Daniel Ingber <ingber@worldbank.org>
Subject:   Re: Amazing :-)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> > > I just enabled softupdates on all filesystems except root on my SMP
> > > -current machine (dual 300Mhz Pentium II, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 256MB RAM).
> > > The "make world" time just went from ~6 hours to 2 hours 20 mins.
> >
> > That actually says more odd things about your disk layout.  On The
> > dual PII/300 box we have here with 128MB of RAM and /usr/{src,obj}
> > striped across a 5 disk CCD (all IBM DCAS 4.3GB 5400 RPM drives), the
> > build time is 1:25 without any sort of soft updates being used, just
> > async mounts.
>
> Me seriously thinks that you need 10000 rpms disks real bad 8)
> Something like this:
>
> sd0: <SEAGATE ST34501W 0017> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>
> On a serious note if you are constantly doing "make worlds" it pays to
> have a very fast disk subsystem and the group can consider my note
> a hint 8)

I think a couple of people have found out those particular 5400RPM drives
are as fast (and in at least one case, faster) than some other-brand
7200RPM drives. :-)  Platter rotation speed isn't the only indicator of
overall speed as the manufacturers may want you to believe (though common
sense tells you that faster platter rotation CAN reduce certain latencies,
but obviously not in every case),

-- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@inter-linc.net
--- cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us