Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 06:58:05 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone needs to re-develop "Softupdates"

On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 04:43:03AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Mr. Dyson, please contact me.  Assuming that your latest NFS fixes actually
> > do fix the problems we've had with NFS, you're entitled to *ALL* of what was
> > going to go to the FreeBSD effort - as a *PERSONAL* donation.
>
> Hey, that certainly sounds good to me.  I'm sure that John can use it
> every bit as constructively (new equipment for R&D is a constant cost
> for *all* of us) and I think that any situation involving Karl, I and
> money, no matter *how* peripherally or indirectly, is something that
> all parties concerned should run screaming from in any case.  Thank
> you, Karl, I find myself to be entirely in agreement with your
> handling of this (save, perhaps, for the cc line which I've redirected
> mercifully to -chat).
>
> 					Jordan

Actually, Jordan, given your penchant to PERSONALLY lambast me on your
mailing lists in the finest of bully-pulpit fashions, ignoring your own
charter while threatening to remove me if I reply in kind, is just what
I expect from tin-pot dictators.

And yes, I'm going to save all of this nice exchange, including your
threats, and make sure that your corporate sponsors (in particular, Walnut
Creek, who funds no small part of *your* little game) is aware of the way
you conduct yourself in this regard.

Mr. Dyson is one of the few people involved in FreeBSD who has a modicum of
decency and sense to go along with his professionalism.  You certainly do
not, as has been proven time and time again.

You don't like the idea of people donating money getting to "vote".  Fine.
I understand that - it makes perfect sense to me.  But then you can't expect
to get one THIN DIME until you do the things that those of us who WOULD VOTE
need to have *DONE*!

Its simple - if I can't put strings on the funds, then the funds don't go
out until the requirements are *MET*.  That is, the funding is post-hoc
rather than in advance, because for all I know you'd take the money and go
to Tahiti rather than actually use it constructively.

I, long ago, stated quite clearly what the needs were here in terms of
things that absolutely *had* to be fixed before I could justify a corporate
donation to your "efforts".  They got back-burnered.  Well, so did the
donation.  Why?  Simple enough - if I had made it earlier, it would have
accomplished *NOTHING*.

In this particular case, I hope Mr. Dyson *DOES* use it to go to Tahiti
and suck down some Mai Tais.

Between him and Mr. Gibbs there is hope for FreeBSD yet.  You, unfortunately,
as the putative "head" of CORE, do more to piss people like me off than
anything else.

In the last 24 hours I've caught two separate problems with the -CURRENT
source tree, posted notes on them ahead of anyone else, and for one of
them I found and fixed the problem - noting that as well - which got me
a "thanks" from the person who sent in the bad commit.  How much time did
this save someone?  I have no idea - but it wasn't a big deal for me to do.

In the past year and a half I've provided the results of our real-world
testing under production loads back to the CORE team, requested or not,
on a regular basis.  I've also found and fixed a number of problems,
including a few in the C library which happened to be rather important.

You obviously don't think any of this is of value, and that being a pissant
on "your" mailing lists is a better approach.

That is your choice.

As the putative "head" of the core team, I respect your opinion and request
(even though I believe it is entirely without merit), and therefore will
be providing no further commentary or assistance back to the team at all -
since you've made it quite clear that its unwanted and unappreciated.

That is, unless you see fit to apologize in the same public fashion as
your rant was originally made.

SOFTUPDATES, besides not working (as is being constantly demonstrated) has a
license agreement which doesn't actually represent the will of the author.
While Kirk has no obligation to actually say what he means, I find it
incredible that you would integrate support for the software into FreeBSD
under those conditions.  It is precisely this kind of poor judgement that
leads me to question the entire process by which the CORE team operates.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service