Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:40:59 +0200
From:      Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny@broadpark.no>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named: invalid rndc key

At 03:29 28.06.2006, you wrote:
> > $ rndc reload
> > rndc: connection to remote host closed
> > This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
> > the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
> > or the key is invalid.
>
>Did you check that named was still listeing on port tcp 953? What does
>"netstat -Sa|grep rndc" tells you?
>
>Can you telnet localhost 953?
>
>Did you check that rndc and named are of the same version? Calling
>rndc with no argument should give you the version, and any dig request
>should give you the version of named. Do they have the same
>installation date?
>
>Best regards,
>
>Olivier

Hello man, thanks for replying!

This is what I was able to extract so far ...

# netstat -Sa | grep rndc
tcp6       0      0  ::1.rndc               *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.rndc         *.*                    LISTEN

# rndc
Version: 9.3.2

# named -v
BIND 9.3.2

I can telnet localhost 953 but it doesn't get no further than to
Escape character is '^]'.

Again, thanks a lot, cheers!

All the best,
Kyrre