Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:44:38 +0100
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: linux-base 6.2 vs  linux-base 7

This is REALLY getting off-topic, and i did NOT want to start some kind
of browser-flamewar...

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 07:00:46PM -0500, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:35:36PM +0100, Jochem Kossen wrote:
> > linux-netscape-navigator-4.79 and linux-opera-5.05-tp1_2
> >
> > If i could get a browser which supports flash and has decent HTML/JavaScript
> > support (not like konqueror), i could do without either of those...
> >

> Did you ever really try to find it?
>
> Mozilla 0.9.2.1 supports flash/realaudio/java excellently. Mozilla 0.9.5
> has fixed, as far as I can see, the last few rendering bugs on several
> pages I knew as problematic for previous Mozilla releases. Mozilla 0.9.6
> is already out.

Yes, i use mozilla-0.96 as my default browser, and i love it...But to my
knowledge, only the GNU port of flash, which only supports flash-3
works under FreeBSD. So you're telling me that the linux-flashplugin
port actually works with mozilla? hmm...

As for java...does THAT work with mozilla on FreeBSD? HOW? :)

> Galeon 0.11.3 does all these things (since it's based on Mozilla 0.9.2)
> with perhaps more convenient interface for some people. Galeon after
> 0.12.4 release is Mozilla 0.9.5 compatible. They released 1.0 recently.
>
> Finally, I must defend this "slander" :-) of Konqueror which is also an
> excellent browser. It does support HTML and JavaScript quite well. I
> knew some pages that looked much better in Konqueror than in Mozilla,
> and vice versa. Konqueror 2.2 is almost completely standards compliant
> (check CSS webpage at W3C to see what they have to say about it). One
> thing though. JavaScript is off by default, while in Mozilla it's on by
> default. Let me give you some reasons why one would want to use
> Konqueror rather than Mozilla/Galeon etc.

Don't get me wrong, i like konqueror also, i just think it needs a
little more maturation...

Things like target="screen2" in a <a href ..></a> tag aren't used. Every
link is opened in a new screen...Things like that make it look a bit
immature...

> 1. Selective control of Java, JavaScript and cookies. Mozilla/Galeon
>    have the selective control of cookies only. Java and JavaScript are
>    either on or off non-selectively. Galleon at least has a quick menu
>    option to switch them on/off which comes in handy if you want to
>    enable them for one particular page only. But that can't beat
>    Konqueror's per domain selective Allow/Reject policy for all three of
>    them. I accept JavaScript from a very few domains only and Java from
>    even less.

nice :)

> 2. Printing! Try printing anything that is not in Western Latin1
>    encoding (ISO8859-1) in Mozilla/Galeon. Have fun watching the look of
>    the page on the paper. Konqueror prints perfectly ISO8859-whatever
>    and Microsoft encodings (Cyrillic or Latin). It can print PDF
>    directly. Unbeatable!

Yes, this is nice too :)

> 3. Anti-aliasing. AFAIK, Mozilla still doesn't have it.

Hmm...yes, unfortunately i think the aa support of KDE is kinda ugly,
especially for small fonts. I do think it will be improved, but for now, no thanks...

> Let me give you the reasons why you wouldn't want to use Konqueror on
> some sites.
>
> 1. The plugin support sometimes fails. Reloading the page or clicking
>    the link again usually succeeds but it's annoying. Notice, please, that
>    some plugins are simply old and work only in Netscape 4.x. Even Mozilla
>    can't support them.
>
> 2. Yes there are still a few pages Konqueror doesn't render well. I
>    often visit nba.com and the front page should have a photo inside the
>    central frame to the right of the text (it does in other browsers).
>    Konqueror for some reason doesn't show it. It also still misses the
>    text justification from the CSS standard. But that's not a big deal.
>    As I mentioned there were some pages that Mozilla couldn't show well
>    until version 0.9.5 and Konqueror was showing them flawlessly.
>
> 3. All these processes running in the background just to start the
>    Konqueror. If you are running KDE that's not an issue. But I run a
>    simple window manager and these extra processes are just a burden.
>
> Hence, there's no perfect browser. If you want clean reading of the most
> pages in nicely anti-aliased fonts (use Microsoft Webfonts TrueType
> bundle), complete control of your privacy, and you do not mind all the
> extra processes -- use Konqueror.  For the pages that do not render
> correctly in Konqueror raise Mozilla or Galeon.

Those are about the reasons why i use mozilla, galeon, netscape and
opera *sigh* :)

> If you do not mind having JavaScript and/or Java enabled/disabled all
> the time and do not care for anti-aliasing use Mozilla or Galeon.
>
> Print from Konqueror only. :-)
>
> Notice that each one of them can be better choice then Opera for quite a
> few sites (e.g. banks) that refuse to work with anything but IE and
> Netscape.  Mozilla/Galeon/Konqueror pass as Netscape, Opera gets
> refused.
>
> Finally this might not save you the burden of using linuxbase since most
> of the plugins (flash 5.0, realplayer 8.0) are available for Linux but
> not for *BSD.

I thank you for your browser-defence :)

--
  Jochem