Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 22:00:17 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "McClain, Michael (SD-EX)" <MMcClain@gi.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stty assignment

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 03:41:01PM -0400, McClain, Michael (SD-EX) wrote:
> On the console or vt, X is too slow for my tastes.
> 	MiKe
>
> > Are you wanting to do this on the console or in X (xterm or similar)?

From stty(1):

     control-character string
                 Set control-character to string. If string is a single char-
                 acter, the control character is set to that character.  If
                 string is the two character sequence "^-" or the string "un-
                 def" the control character is disabled (i.e. set to
                 {_POSIX_VDISABLE}.)

Which suggests it can only be a single character and from
/usr/src/bin/stty/stty.h:

struct cchar {
        char *name;
        int sub;
        u_char def;
};

which confirms it - it's an unsigned char.

The line for the cursor left key in
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/<your_keymap> is:

  097   fkey53 fkey53 fkey53 fkey53 fkey53 fkey53 fkey53 fkey53  O