Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 09:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        Gul@ngonet.be (Gunter Loos)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: PPP Routing (again)]

 >>         Do you have 'options GATEWAY' in the kernel config or GATEWAY="YES"
 >> in /etc/sysconfig ?
 >> Nope, I didn't.
 >
 >But GREAT - it works! Thanks a *lot*.
 >
 >Now, can anybody tell me why this is necessary; and why it isn't in the docs?

Seems like the internet standards committes recommend leaving this option
turned off by default.  I believe the reason is so that misconfigured
end-node machines for which this option has not been turned on (i.e. most
end-user machines) don't mess up working routing on existing subnets and
hog up net bandwidth doing bogus routing of packets.  This approach
requires the end user to consciously make the decision to get involved with
this and assume responsibility for the effects.

                                                   Randall Hopper
                                                   rhh@ct.picker.com