Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2009 19:38:58 +0200
From:      Lars Lonne <lonnelars@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No wifi signal with usb antenna (rum driver)

Hi all. I have recently installed FreeBSD-7.1-RELEASE on my Compaq Evo
laptop. It used to dualboot with windows xp and gentoo linux, but I
decided to give FreeBSD a try instead, so now it dualboots with
windows and FreeBSD. My biggest problem is connecting to the internet
over the local wifi network. I am using a usb antenna, which uses the
rum driver in FreeBSD. When using windows, the signal strength is low
(I am located quite far from the access point), but works fine. I can
connect to the network and get on the internet, no problem. Problem is
when I start FreeBSD, I cannot get a signal, i.e. ifconfig always
reports "no carrier". I can connect to the network with FreeBSD if I
move closer to the AP, but it is impractical for me to do so.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or know what could be causing
it? Please let me know if you need more information. Hope you can help
me.

/lars