Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:43:03 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "messmate" <messmate@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slow files transfert

On Saturday 30 March 2002 12:55 pm, messmate wrote:
| No, a NEW (3 months old 20G) hd and IDE (no usb).
| And on a workstation (not over a network).
| mess-mate

[List protocol dictates that responses belong below that to which they are
responding -- known in lingo as "no top-posting."]

Well, I did a test just now and I'm getting 1M/s transferring within the same
drive to different partitions using pax.  Specifically, I did a pax -rw of a
1573110M directory and it took 28:57 of wall time, yielding 905M/s; I was
actually doing other work at the same time, so the actual speed is somewhat
higher, but 1M/s seems about right.

I have a atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller>
with a
 45780MB <IC25T048ATDA05-0> [93015/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

I have no idea if this is good or bad performance with this hardware; I'm
also uncertain whether this hardware really runs like that, as sometimes I
get this message:

ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device

but not always -- and not since I rebooted in the session where I meaured the
performance.

If I'm really using UMDA100 and you are using IDMA33, for example, that could
explain if you were getting rates in the area of 300k/s, but it's hard to see
why it would be clear down at 80k/s.

In addition, I run with write-cache off; it's on by default and this should
be slowing my results down quite a bit compared to an "out of the box"
installation.

I have 512M of memory and 256M of swap.  (Yes, my swap is smaller.  Yes, I
know that's unconventional.  Thank you.)  And a 900M processor.

So your results seem quite a bit slower than I'd expect.

| On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:43:36 -0500
|
| Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> wrote:
| | On Saturday 30 March 2002 01:36 pm, messmate wrote:
| | | Hello all,
| | | copying files from a dir to another or from a zip is very slow, +/-
| | | 80kb/s. I'm running fbsd 4.5 with 128M/mem and a swap of 350M.
| | | Is there any reason for this ?
| |
| | You mean on your plain old harddrive or over a USB or a network or what?
| |
| | FreeBSD USB transfer rates are rather slow, I've noticed; other transfer
| | rates that I happen to have used are fine.
| |
| | | Linux do it with 2M/s.
| | | Thanks
| | | mess-mate
| | |
| | | To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
| | | with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
| |
| | --
| | Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
| | Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts@babbleon.org (personal)