Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 14:25:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's the upgrade procedure?

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Marty Leisner wrote:

> How do I upgrade freebsd?  I want to be able to run the old and the
> new system concurrently for a while...

I don't have any idea on this one.  But, I don't claim to be any fbsd
install professional either.  :)

> (I was running 2.1.0 snapshot 1105, I want to upgrade to the 2.1.0
> release...)

If you want to upgrade it the regular way, select the "Upgrade" option in
sysinstall.  BACKUP /ETC FIRST TO FLOPPY when performing this procedure,
if you end up having to do multiple installs and accidentally overwrite
the backup of etc in /usr/tmp/etc (like I did)...well, have fun
reconfiging. :)  (The install program will copy /etc to a directory of
your choice, default /usr/tmp/etc.)

> I also had problems with booteasy from the second hard disk (but the
> bios size is different from the real size -- the second disk is a 1.2gig, and
> the bios says about 400 Mbytes...[I have a compaq which has a sick, strange
> bios]).  I also haven't tried any of the On-disk managers...

Booteasy has to be rebuilt for it to boot from disk 2.  I have fbsd on a
second IDE and remember reading in some help file in sysinstall that you
have to physically reprogram booteasy to use wd1.

> In the first 300 Megabytes, I'm running win95 and NT with no problems, then
> I have a BSD disk slice of about 400 Mbyte, and linux in upper disk area
> (so dos fdisk is a bit screwed up...)

The new sysinstall fixes this problem.  It now asks if you want to make
the fbsd slice compatible with other OS's.  But you have to remake your
partitions and I don't think you want to do that.  :)

> I have a small partition on the first hard disk (about 80 Mbytes) which
> boot easy works with...my base system is on here, then my fstab has:

Interesting solution.  I run OS/2 Warp on my first disk (a WD 1080mb), it
comes with a nice Boot Manager that lets me boot fbsd off the second
disk.  I just added it to the manager and it works great :)

> (I really don't understand the device syntax -- why is /usr on /dev/wd0s4e
> and the other disk has wd1a/wd1e in my slice? -- I got this working well
> from trial and error.

It's explicitly saying the partition.  Disk 0, slice 4, partition e.

> I can boot the second disk from the bootfloppy, but I had to enter
> wd(1,a)/kernel [can I build the boot loader to automatically do this?
> I'm content to run a floppy to boot from if I don't have to manually
> interact with it...

Well, you're stuck with it unless you can figure out how to reprogram the
boot program and then reload it into the bootblocks.

good luck...

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant