Date:      Tue, 7 May 2013 06:51:01 +0000
From:      Orit Moskovich <oritm@mellanox.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD spinlock

Hi,

I read a bit about the FreeBSD mutex implementation for spinlock.
I might be wrong, but I noticed a code section that might be problematic:

Taken from http://svn.freebsd.org/base/release/9.1.0/sys/ofed/include/linux=
/spinlock.h:

static inline void
spin_lock_init(spinlock_t *lock)
{

        memset(&lock->m, 0, sizeof(lock->m));
        mtx_init(&lock->m, "lnxspin", NULL, MTX_DEF | MTX_NOWITNESS);
}

But MTX_DEF initializes mutex as a sleep mutex:

By default, MTX_DEF mutexes will context switch when they are already

     held.

There is a flag MTX_SPIN Which I think is the right one in this case .

I'd appreciate your take on this issue.

Thanks,

Orit Moskovich