Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 12:01:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: ReadMe files

On 05-Mar-00 Doug Young wrote:
> Who is responsible for the ReadMe files on the FreeBSD FTP site??
> My reason for asking is a problem I had that could have easily been
> avoided with a couple extra lines of explanation in a particular ReadMe.
> I'm aware of a number of associates who have experienced the exact
> same problem but haven't persisted in the search for answers as much
> as I have. I'm certain that many of the regular questions posted to the
> various mailing lists could be avoided if there was a mechanism to
> provide more explicit information on potential areas of confusion, thus
> reducing the number of "trivial" questions posted to the mailing lists.
> The manual & the Complete FreeBSD do a very good job in  many
> areas, but unfortunately there will always be issues that aren't covered
> explicitly enough for newbies, and its obviously a waste of resources
> for the experts to spend time answering questions that could have been
> avoided had sufficient information been provided elsewhere in a readily
> visible form.

It depends.  Some of the README's are maintained by the doc people over on
the freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org mailing list.  However, you haven't told us
what README file is inadequate, and what type of info you'd like to see added
to it.  Since we can't read your mind it's rather hard for us to improve it
until you tell us those two things. :)