Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 22:26:20 GMT
From:      Daniel Barron <nettle@jadeb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After 170 days uptime, now reboots every few hours

In message <20020519131828.E64761@mars.thuis>
          Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net> wrote:

> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:25:00PM +0000, Daniel Barron wrote:
> > Back to the original question; what tools exist on FBSD to diagnose where
> > the fault may lie (mb, hd, ram, cpu, etc)?

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Although it will take some trouble the best way to debug it will be
> to recompile the kernel with -g and enable the kernel debuuger.
> Most of these small boards will have a serial interface so you can
> hook up a debug terminal. Problem might be the hdd, since a debug kernel
> is a bit bigger then normal, you might consider setting up a tfpt server
> to make testing with it easy.
> Then, whenever it hangs, you'll probably be able to do a backtrace to see
> where things go wrong.

Although I've recompiled many a kernel on Linux I've never looked into
doing such a thing on FBSD.  That information certainly might prove useful
in the future though.

I wanted to diagnose it so that I could send it back to the supplier as its
still in the 1 year guarantee and tell them the fault.

--
Daniel Barron
(Visit http://dansguardian.org/ - True web content filtering for all)