Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 09:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        burak buyuran <mysteriousknight555@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about install and removing freeBSD

On Tue, 20 May 2003, burak buyuran wrote:

>      Hello freeBSD team,
>   I wanna ask you some questions about installing and removing freeBSD 5.0
> for i386. I tried to install freeBSD 5.0 for i386 to one of my friends PC
> last week.I installed freeBSD 5.0 well to his PC,but i think i did something
> wrong in the partition section of installing(By the way i installed freeBSD
> 5.0 by CDrom and using "miniinst" CD ) .
>    Here are my questions;
>   1-Does this installing stuff has a graphic interface?If so,how can i
> install it by using a graphical interface?
>   2-The partition section of the install was very complex and
> confusing,which selections and choices you advice me during that partition
> section?
>   3-How can i remove(uninstall) this Operation Sytem freeBSD 5.0 from the
> drive that i installed?

Answer #1) No. This is actually a great advantage, as Sysinstall can be
used where a graphic display would not be possible or would be too slow to
be useful, like over a remote connection.  Does it really matter if you
click "OK" by using a mouse or by hitting enter anyways? ; )

Answer #2) Everyone is confused at first by BSD's distinction between
partitions and slices, but once you get used to it this system is more
powerful and flexible than what most operating systems use.

Answer #3) This depends on what operating system you are using to remove
it.  If you are replacing it with another operating system the
installation will normally take care of this for you, if you just want to
wipe it off check what option is available, most commonly you will be
using your OS's version of fdisk to wipe out the partitions (and under
Windows to reset the boot block if you installed the boot manager.

Cheers,

Viktor