Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:08:58 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

> On Tuesday, 21 July 1998 at 15:03:16 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> > At 04:52 PM 7/21/98 -0400, Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:
> >
> >> Brett -- I also disagree with the Free Software Foundation's philosophy.
> >> However, I think it's a reasonable place for the funding to go.
> >
> > I disagree. The Free Software Foundation's main objective nowadays is to
> > promote the notion that the GPL is the One True Way.
>
> That may be.  But do you intend to stop using GNU software because of
> that?  If not, I think it's fair to support the people who supply it.

You're making the mistake that the FSF want you to; namely that they
are the sole source of "GNU" software.  What you may mean is that we
should not stop using GPL'd software.  Whether that's desirable is
arguable, but note that AFAIK almost none of the GPL'd components we
use (for example) are developed or have their development supported
substantially by the FSF.