Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:01:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Kerry Davis <kedavis@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: puzzlement

> I started out by installing DOS in a small (200 meg) partition on the first
> drive (IBM 2 gig SCSI, on a Qlogic 1080 card), along with IDE CD-ROM
> drivers, which is how I read the readme.txt and install.txt files.

	For a first time install, I would recommend this... I personally
don't do it anymore, but that's me... :)

> Then I created the 2 boot/install floppies from makeflp.bat (which is an
> issue to me right there:  why can't there just be a DOS install program on
> the CD?  seems like that couldn't be any more difficult than putting
> together the 2-floppy "bootstrap" thing), and booted from those

	Actually, the CDROM is bootable. No need for such a dos program on
the CDROM. Though there probally is.

> Everything seemed to go more or less okay, as it looked.  But after the
> installation is completed, my system won't reboot.  Even if I change the
> boot sequence to C: Only, it goes through the POST stuff, then goes to the
> floppy drive and stays there.

	Um... if you've got floppies in the disk drive, and the CDROM in
the CDROM drive, you should be booting off of A: or d: first.. not your
c:\... Now, if you've formated and put a system on the c:\ then that
should work. But you've created the floppies, so boot off of
them. BTW.. 90% of the boot problems with floppies are bad disks.

				Rick