Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:18:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Alich <mike@cctinc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Mike Alich wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am hoping you can help..In my endless searching threw the
> handbook, mailing lists, man pages, etc.., etc...I was wonder if you can
> help tell me where I can get the information or how to do this.
>
> I need to compile some program (I am assuming FTPD) with the variable
> FTPD_INTERNAL_LS=    true.  Can you tell me which program needs to be
> re-compiled?  I have the FTPD_INTERNAL_LS=    true in my /etc/make.conf
> and in my /usr/src/etc/make.conf and I have re-compiled the kernel, ftp,
> ftpd with no luck.  I would like to not have to put the /bin/ls in each
> users home dir to use the ftpchroot file.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!

You need to *build* ftpd with the option set so the appropriate code is
enabled.  The system distributed ftpd is *not* build with such support.

If you have the system source installed, go into /usr/src/libexec/ftpd and
type

make INTERNAL_LS=true depend all install

All future invocations of ftpd will now have ls built-in.

(A scan of the source notes that FTPD_INTERNAL_LS is the wrong define, it
should be INTERNAL_LS.)

Doug White