Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:34:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK ports questions

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > What is the difference between ports/java/diablo-jdk15
 > > and ports/java/jdk15?  Which of them should be used?
 >
 > ports/java/diablo-jdk15 is the ports way of installing the
 > binary package, you can do the same with pkg_add -r.

I see.  So I basically get the same result as downloading
the package from freebsdfoundation.org (which is not what
I want).

Thanks for answering!

 > > So far I have only used the Sun-blessed binary package
 > > from the FreeBSD foundation download page, so I don't
 > > know much about the various ports.  However, those
 > > packages are now quite old, so I would like to build
 > > an up-to-date JDK for FreeBSD 7.  Which port should
 > > be used for that?
 >
 > For FreeBSD 7.0, you will have to install misc/compat6x

But it's only required for the bootstrap, right?
I.e. when I have built the JDK successfully, I don't
need compat6x anymore, I assume.

Thinking about it ...  When I compile my own JDK anyway,
I could just as well go for the JDK 1.6 instead of 1.5.
Are there any known problems with building JDK 1.6 on
FreeBSD/amd64 7.0?  Anything I should be aware of?

The JDK is going to be used on several 8-core amd64
machines with 64 GB RAM to run tomcat-based CMS for a
very busy web site.  No need to say, stability is top-
priority.

Best regards
   Oliver

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell