Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:25:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dusk Auriel Sykotik <syko@starix.net>
To:        Ozz!!! <osa@unibest.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current mail-list <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange in vi ??? or UFS ???

Are you root?  pap-secrets is owned by root, if your not root, you
wouldn't be able to read it with those permissions.  to check whether your
root or not, you can type whoami.  also, are those multiple rows of four
dots just a typo you added, or is that actually in the ls output?  if it
is, something is very screwed up :|  You also may want to check the
permissions for the directory your in... there are a few rare instances
you could have an ls for a directory you don't have read permission for,
such as if permissions were changed after the ls, but before your attempt
to open the file in vi.  try opening the file in another text editor?  I
have limited experience with vi, so I don't know exactly what it takes to
make it give the error it gave you, try emacs, pico, or if its available
on your syste, ee is nice.

 * Syko, AKA Matt Harris In The Real World *

 * Visit SykotikMUSH!                      *
   vortex.starix.net 6300
 * Visit TechnoNet!                        *
   /server Dark.NY.US.TechnoNet.Net
 * Visit Cabalnet!                         *
   /server dark-temple.md.us.cabalnet.org