Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:30:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failure to attach SCSI CD burner

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:06:01 +0200, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> > Le 2001-08-29, Thomas Quinot =E9crivait :

> > > Thanks, applied, I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to reboo=
t.

> > OK, here we are:
> >
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): autosense is NOT valid
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): flags =3D 0x40 status =3D 0x4c
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): SCSI status =3D 0x8
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): got CAM status 0x4c
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): lost device
> > (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): removing device entry
> >
> > Isn't that 'SCSI_STATUS_BUSY' ?
>
> Yes it is.  Here's a patch that should fix your problem.  The only SCSI
> status I've allowed through (besides check condition) is busy.  The rest
> are either not likely or are grounds for failing the attach.
>
> Let me know if this fixes your problem.

You patch seems incomplete to me.

BUSY is a transient condition and a CD/ROM or a CD/R device is slow as a
25 years old dog when it happens to deal with seeking. A 1 second delay
for the BUSY condition to go away does not seem to me a good compromise
here. Something like 3 seconds (and possibly 3 retries given that the
delay for a retry on BUSY status is hardcoded, but this doesn't matter a
lot) seems more appropriate, imo. In order to minimize changes in the
code, I suggest to also just make scsi_cd.c allow 3 retries for the READ
CAPACITY command, for example.

  G=E9rard.