Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:56:51 -0700
From:      Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jailed Service contact IMAPS

--On Monday, December 28, 2009 3:43 PM -0500 Peter Fraser
<petros.fraser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have two servers, one running apache and squirrelmail in a jail.
> Squirrelmail on this server is trying to contact dovecot running imaps
> on port 993 on another server and failing. When I try from another
> physical machine it works but I would prefer to run this service from
> within a jail.
>
> Can anyone please let me know how to make this work?

Sounds like you have some sort of basic networking problem, a Jail in and
of itself won't be blocked.  I'd first check to see if you can get a
connection from within the jail host server to the IMAPS port on the other
machine.  Use telnet or opennssl's s_client to see if you can get a
connection open.  I assume the dovecot server and jail have separate IPs?

If so then try the same thing from within the jail.  If both of those work
then I'd check your PHP setup and make sure that you have the appropriate
PHP modules installed, and that they support SSL.