Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:02:08 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re0 fix that works with polling

Sean McNeil wrote this message on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 14:31 -0700:
> Hi John-Marc,
>
> On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 18:12, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > John-Mark Gurney wrote this message on Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 16:28 -0700:
> > > I'll do some tests shortly to see about these issues...
> >
> > Ok, I played around w/ rwatson's netsend program, and I was able to
> > send 1316 byte payload udp packets at about 28kpps w/o problems.. I
> > was not able to confirm that no packets were loss, BUT, netstat did
> > show very close to 28kpps received...  At 28kpps, it's far exceeds
> > your problem of 15Mbps, it is about 38megbytes/sec..
>
> I looked at and read netsend/netreceive.  Is this what you are using?

yes...

> If so, how do you know that there is no packet loss?  netreceive does no

That's what I said, that I was not able to confirm, but if I ran netstat
on the receiving machine, the number of pps that the receiving machine
VERY closely matched what I was suppose to receive... I definately did
not see anything close to 20% packet lose...

> checking to make sure of anything.  It is just a sink that throws away
> the packets.  You need to look at the actual data that is being
> delivered.  You will find that 20% of those packets that are suppose to
> have been sent are just thrown away without any error indication of any
> sort.  netstat -i will show no errors yet the packets are gone if you
> look for them on the other side.  So netsend is telling you it sends
> them at 38megbytes/sec but out the wire the driver is only sending 80%
> of the packets it should.

but I was seeing 38megbytes/sec being received at the receiving end...
yes, I didn't verify that they weren't dups, but that would imply we have
other issues with the re driver than just this...

Do you have a video that you could send me, that I could do some testing
with this? (and vls config)?  I've been doing my testing on an i386,
but that shouldn't be different enough to cause problems...  (if it is,
then we need to think about what the re is behaving badly)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579