Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:44:04 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
Subject:   Re: lang/php52 thoughts

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 06:52:47PM +0400, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
> Just want to discuss some changes to this port that worth doing imho.
> The main thesises are:
>
> - We should remove DEPRECATED for now to keep consistency with lang/php4
> - We should apply BACKPORTS patch unconditionally

Here are my thoughts about downrev ports that we are keeping alive in
the tree:

 - if we absolutely must put EXPIRATION_DATE into the far future to
   avoid losing part of our install base, well, then, we must.  However,
   I would prefer to keep EXPIRATION_DATE with _some_ value.

 - I *strongly* prefer leaving DEPRECATED.  If we set it to "strongly
   discouraged for new installations, retained only to support existing
   installations that cannot upgrade" (or something to that effect),
   then I can live with that.

mcl