Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:31:22 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> I'm trying to build a cross development binutils with a
> sparc-sun-solaris2.5 host and an i386-unknown-freebsd target.  The
> configure fails when configuring ld (doesn't know i386-unknown-freebsd
> as a target).  Is i386-unknown-bsd (which configures without problem)
> good enough to use as a target?

I hate to tell you, but binutils-2.7 doesn't have working support for
FreeBSD's a.out format.  I have heard reports of people getting the
assembler to work, but the linker is nowhere close.  The code for
dealing with shared libraries doesn't even exist.

> I also noted that another recognized target is i386-unknown-freebsdelf
> which JDP added support for.

That one works fine, but it's for playing around with ELF rather than
building real FreeBSD binaries.

If you want a cross environment to FreeBSD, your easiest path is
probably to port the old assembler and linker from our /usr/src tree.

John