Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 15:11:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strcpy, strcat: not the same look & feel.

> Any guesses what extra code the statement
>
>    i++ N
>
> would generate, if not a JMP?

I would think it could do an extra compare at the top if it reordered.

Of course, if it reordered, it wouldn't be doing extra stuff at all,
because the logic should be invertable by a peephole optimizer, if
you assume your compiler is any good at all.

The GCC numbers Bruce posted were, to say the least, a bit scary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.