Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:46:52 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mozilla SDK?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:37:32 -0500
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net> wrote:

> As the current maintainer of the x11-toolkits/swt-devel port, I'm
> currently looking at both updating the port version as well as, much
> more importantly, correcting some build issues re: both Webkit and
> Mozilla.
>
> For some reason, the swt source package, as shipped, makes no attempt
> to include support under FreeBSD for either of these by default.
> Well, in the case of Mozilla, there is *some* support, but it's
> somewhat incomplete in a few critical respects, while Webkit support
> under FreeBSD is completely disabled.
>
> In investigating these issues, it appears that the reason for the
> incomplete Mozilla support is the lack of a "Mozilla SDK" for FreeBSD.
>
> Does anyone know *exactly* what they're referring to by "Mozilla SDK"?
> None of my web searches have turned up anything useful yet.  I'm
> wondering if there's some standard development kit available somewhere
> out there that simply isn't available for/hasn't been ported to
> FreeBSD.
>
> While the swt-devel port, in its current state, is *mostly* working
> just fine, I do occasionally run across situations where this
> incompleteness in Mozilla support does cause some rather serious
> issues, for instance, when trying to run "Vuze" (aka azureus).  In
> this particular case, the application's functionality is severely
> hindered as a result, rendering it nearly completely useless.
>
> If anyone could help to shed some light on this for me, or point me in
> the right direction for further investigation, I'd be most grateful.
>
> Thanks!

I should have mentioned that my web searches for "Mozilla SDK" do all
point to the xulrunner sdk.  Is this the same package as our libxul in
ports, or a totally different beast altogether?

Could it be that the issues I've been seeing lie within the xul package
itself?

Frankly, dealing with the swt-devel port can be more than slightly
bewildering.  Sometimes I think I may have bitten off more than I can
chew by accepting the request I received to assume maintainership of it
after I had submitted a patch for it a while back.

I could really use some help here, folks!  :-)

Thanks again.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net