Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:57:03 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bacula vs. Amanda vs. whatever ...

Kiffin Gish wrote:
> I have a home network with two FreeBSD servers (web- and file-server), a number of Windows desktops and a wireless FreeBSD laptop all connected to one another using Samba.
>
> What is the best tool to create automatic central backups? For now I just want to make backups on disk but later using an external tape drive.
>
> Some swear by Amanda, others insist Bacula works best with Samba, just curious is all.

Well, I'm using bacula with the following config:

a) 1 Windows client (only some data to backup);
b) 1 FreeBSD client/storage (I just backup /etc, /usr/local/etc, ... and
it holds daily backup on a disk);
c) 1 FreeBSD client/storage (main big chunk of data to save and tape
drive used monthly for full backups).

Initially it was not that easy to setup, but I must admin it's working
very well now.
I haven't by now even considered the bare metal restore option.

  bye
	av.