Date:      28 Feb 2003 17:27:08 +0100
From:      Jukka Simila <home@jukkis.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with getting through firewall using CVSup

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 15:59, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > But is there any way to do anything without asking firewall
> > admin to open 5999 port?
>
> No, there is not. Well, there is, sort of ...
>
> Please, people! If Port 5999 is blocked, the responsible person
> doesn't want you to use CVSup. You will have to clear that issue.

Or, the responsible people dont know how to configure a firewall, so
they block everything except 80 and 443, like they do where I work.
(well, I haven't gone through every port but it seems this is close to
truth)

No problem for me, I've got ssh listening on port 443 at home and I'm
running basically everything through a tunnel, including an X session :)

> Of course with the help of someone outside of your company
> or a system sitting at your home which is connected to the
> Internet you could use an SSL tunnel or an SSH tunnel or ...
> ... provided that ports 443 or 22 are permitted, that is.
>
> But how happy do you think your admin will be if he ever finds out?

The guys who installed Win2000 as a proxy server since they couldn't
figure out how to use the Linux proxy that someone had installed there?
(There was nothing wrong with the proxy, they just didn't know if it
was working or not..)