Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:21:26 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Wes Warner <ufodziner@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP on a bp6 with an adaptec 2940 uw

Thus spake Wes Warner (ufodziner@earthlink.net):

> Nick Slager wrote:
> >
> > What version of FreeBSD are you using? I have the same hardware, and
> > dont' have this problem.
> >
> > Are your CPUs overclocked?
> >

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.1.  The kernel I'm using is juwst the GENERIC with
> SMP enabled.  I have tried it with them both overclocked and not, with
> no luck either way.  Can you tell me which bios you're using?  Maybe
> that has something to do with it??

I think I'm running the NJ BIOS on the motherboard - released around November
last year. It's my home machine and I'm at work, so I'll double check
tonight.

I think the SCSI BIOS is 2.11.0 - once again, can't quite remember. It
hasn't been updated from what it came with.

There have been issues with write caching and tagged command queuing if
you're running an Adaptec controller with newer Seagate drives, although
the problem usually manifests itself as the dreaded 'invalidating pack'
messages - and it affects both UP and SMP processor systems.

I'll try to get updated details to you tonight.

Nick.