Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 22:14:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Subject:   Re: the talk about fbsd in linux and free cd's

Hello,
I simply said, and will repeat it again, all this yak about FreeBSD should be
for FREE on cdroms is a bunch of BULLSHIT.
Who ever reads this, do yourself a favor, go buy CDROM.COM and start burning
and tell the world "HEY WE BURN FOR FREE!!" When you're done your dance, send
me your bank account balance. I will reconcile it for you.

I don't give too hoots for people that just want all the good and hard labour
the the people at FreeBSD put in and to get what out of it?

If anything, FreeBSD should cost at least and not a pennie less than Red Hat. I
wonder if Microsoft after the ruling will start to compete with Sun's Free
StarOffice?

On the other hand, I wonder how JKH and company (figuratively speaking) will
pay for programmers, support staff and the rest when some companies start
marketing FreeBSD as the operating system of choice if they don't make profits?

If you figure out how, by all means, please let me know.

Lanny
On 27-Feb-00 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> umm maybe I'm out on a limb here, but there is a FreeBSD Inc, which I
>> thought to be the "project" as you put it.  FreeBSD Inc isn't a not for
>> profit, but the question is whether or not it's the project.
>
> FreeBSD, Inc. is not the project.  It is a fund-raising entity FOR the
> project and will have at least that aspect of its operations shut down
> once the FreeBSD Foundation thingy gets created as a full 501(c)3
> charitable organization.  That has not yet happened and I'm not going
> to make any predictions as to when it will.
>
> - Jordan

Lanny Baron
Date: 26-Feb-00
Time: 22:14:49

"We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company."