Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:24:16 +1300
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Subject:   Seeking recommendations/stories for big servers

We are planning to configure a big multiprocessor system (4/8 Xeon),
with 0.5-2.0GB of memory and a huge SCSI subsystem (1/2 to 3/4 of a
terabyte). The system will be used to store and process large Internet
trace files, quite likely in gzip'ed form. There will be massive
sequential access, many files will be readonly.

I'd be interested to hear some experience/stories from people running
such systems. I need to make a choice among the big PC manufacturers
(Dell, Compaq, you name it). I'm interested in running vinum rather
than a commercial RAID product (if any form of RAID is required at
all).

I'm also interested about network-fanout stories. We may NFS-mount
the server and have a 100MBit Ethernet box behind it for access from
a farm of PCs.

Thanks for your time!
	Joerg Micheel
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794