Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:36:18 +0900
From:      Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com
Cc:        wilko@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why the RockRidge message?

Hi,

At Sun, 09 Jul 2000 21:35:57 +0900,
Daniel C. Sobral <dcs@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I really don't understand why the cd9660 filesystem needs to whine about the
>> RockRidge extensions everytime one mounts a RR cdrom.
> It does this for Joliet too. AFAIK, he idea is letting the admin knows
> what format was recognized/mounted, and this is the wrong solution,
> obviously (LOG_INFO or not).

A year ago, I was merging several implementations of Joliet support.
I needed these messages for mainly debugging reasons,
so I wrote printf() (not log()) as temporaly reporting.

I suppose, someone thought log() was suitable, not printf().

> The right solution would be return this
> information upon request through some mean.

I second this.
Joliet support is very stable, however it can only treat ASCII.
The possibility for cd9660 to confuse RockRidge with Joliet is nearly
zero, so I think this reporing is superfluous.

--
Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp>
Dept. of Biological Sciences, Grad. School of Science, Univ. of Tokyo, Japan