Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:49:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   The 'Stable' status of freeBSD-stable

So today I got bitten by another API change in the 2.2 stream.
old machines (2.2.1 vintage) can't run cpio from new
images..

the now binaries use 'lchown(2)'
We really need to make a clear policy about this..
I was under the impression (and so was Mike Smith)
that the 2.2 series was supposed to have a STABLE interface!

being able to add a binary from 2.2.5 to a 2.2.1 machine SHOULD work..

ok, so I've built a new kernel for that machine and hopefully that will be
the end of it, but even though people have complained about thigs I
have added to -stable, I've always been careful that they were completely
transparrent.

just a grumble....

(overrall I'm quite pleased with the stability, and we have LOTS of
FreeBSD machines out there, all running 2.2.x kernels)

julian