Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:05:13 -0400
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        dmaddox@conterra.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 07:18:25PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> At 05:35 PM 9/13/99 -0400, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> >Bzzzt!  The correct answer is in /etc/login.conf, of course.
> >
> >You assume a lot.  How do you know I don't have the user in a jail
> >that doesn't even remotely resemble a *BSD system (even though it
> >actually is within one)?
>
> Ding! Ding! Ding!  Give the man a prize...
>
> For a colossal waste time.  Don't care to get into what would be required
> to remove all traces of FreeBSD in all files and good luck doing so.
>

> Scramble away and lock me up...
>
> Won't help much if 'strings' is around and if it isn't...
>
> Still no problem.  8-)

Sigh.  This point is not worth all this discussion, but _again_...

There may not be ANYTHING *BSD in the jail environment, let alone
'strings'.  Again, assumptions.

The point of my original question was just to find out how NOT to
make the OS flavor readily apparent.  That there are good reasons
for doing so is not a point I am going to debate.  We've all seen
the 'security through obscurity' debates rehashed on these lists
MANY times.  Let's not do it again.