Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:10:51 -0800
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        Keith Bartholomew <kb9@dana.ucc.nau.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD compatible hardware

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 06:03:28PM -0700, Keith Bartholomew wrote:
> About a year ago I tried to put FreeBSD on an old 486 computer I got a
> hold of.  I was not able to use FreeBSD as a server though because it
> would not recognize the Ethernet card.  The Ethernet card is a Kingston
> NE2000 compatible PNP ISA card.  As far as I was able to figure out it
> was the PNP aspect of it that gave me problems.  I have been looking at
> ISA Ethernet cards and they all seem to be PNP.  Will FreeBSD now
> recognize PNP cards or do I need to find a non PNP NIC for it to work?=20
> If so could anyone suggest where I could find an ISA Ethernet card that
> will work in FreeBSD that isn't too expensive?  I would greatly
> appreciate any help.  Thank you.
>=20

Keith, the problem may not be that the card is PnP, but that the port
the card is using is outside of the range of ports that FreeBSD scans
for.  This was the case with an ISA NIC that I had a year or two ago.
(It was an SMC EtherEZ).  I had to manually set the port during the=20
FreeBSD install, (in the kernel parameters section, right at the
beginning of the install) in order to use it.  After install, the port=20
can be set in the custom kernel that you build...

So I would suggest running some sort of utility to find out what port
the card is using (i.e., 0x340), then specify that port to the kernel
during install.  The NIC probably came with a utility for
viewing/changing these settings.

-Brent

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--