Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:07:41 -0400
From:      Marko Ruban <marko@tellurian.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need help getting my RCN cable modem running

I have had my cable modem for about a week now, and the whole week spent
on trying to set it up on FreeBSD (version 4.1.1-STABLE) machine.  I
know modem itself is functional because I have used it with Windows
machine, with no additional software (only DHCP setup).  The modem uses
a telephone line for upstream connection, so it has to dialup before
anything can be sent out.

I have installed a second NIC into my FreeBSD box and connected the
modem to it. DHCP seems to be working fine, giving me my IP and
router/DNS IPs.  But will not allow me to ping even DNS and I do not
hear it dial out either.

Here's what I know... On boot the system cannot add the default route
(modem IP) because it is "unreachable".  After I log in I add the route
manually like so:

# route add default -interface ed0

After doing so, I can ping my modem/router (10.17.56.XXX) but I cannot
ping anything further out, and the modem still doesn't dial out.  Ping
tells me "ping: sendto: Host is down".  I did try adding a route from
NIC to modem (unsuccessfully, possibly because of bad syntax) like this:

# route add -host 10.17.56.XXX -gateway 208.59.162.XXX

where last is my assigned IP.  Here are some relevant lines from my
rc.conf file:

network_interfaces="ed0 ed1 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="10.17.56.XXX"
gateway_enable="YES"

Any ideas?  I know from searching the mailing list archive that there
are users of RCN cable modems out there.  And apparently they had not
much trouble setting their's up.  What's the problem in my case?