Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:22:27 -0500
From:      "Robert H. Perry" <rperry@gti.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inconsistency Running IPF Against FTPs

I'm running FreeBSD RELEASE 5.4 and recently installed IPF Firewall.  I
rarely download files using FTP but have little choice using
portupgrade.  Now, during an upgrade, I often see the error message, "No
route to host..." while connecting with an FTP site.  If I disable the
IPF/IPNAT rules the problem no longer exists.

I've followed installation instructions in the Handbook paying
particular attention to the section on IPNAT rules.  (I do not claim to
entirely understand what I read however.)  My immediate question however
is how current are the instructions?  There is a caveat immediately
following the IPF Firewall Section title: "This section is work in
progress. The contents might not be accurate at all times."  If it is
accurate and should resolve my FTP problems, I'll simply re-read it
until I get it right.

Any other hints are also appreciated.

Thnx,
Bob Perry