Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:22:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Robert Burns <rjburns@lanzen.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wingate Equivalent for FreeBSD ????

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Robert Burns wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> How do you get lan workstations to connect to the internet through a
> UNIX box connected to an ISP with ppp.  The workstations are all using
> internal TCP/IP address.
>
> I know a package exists for Win95 but can this be done on a unix box?
> I'm sure it can be done but how?

Depends on what apps need to talk to the Internet.  If you're looking at
MS Internet Explorer 3.0 or Netscape Navigator 1.2 or later, install the
socks port.  This is the only way I know to proxy SSL connections.  If you
need to proxy ftp, fwtk is the way to go, as most win FTP programs don't
grok socks.  I use a mix of both on my home network.