Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:38:01 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virus Announcements

> In the meantime, who here knows the arcana of how to build a package? I've looked
> at the innards of a couple of tarballs but have no idea how to specify dependencies,
> pop up a message to tell the user what to do next, test for the right version of
> Perl (you need Perl5 and some FreeBSD users have Perl4), etc. There don't seem
> to be any docs.

Well, I'm no expert, but I've built my first few ports recently.  The documentation is in the handbook.  In my somewhat outdated copy of the handbook it's at "17.2.5. Porting an existing piece of free software"

making a package amounts to the same thing as making a port.  You just do a "make package" from the port's directory.

Dependencies are specified in the Makefile.  I don't know how they are specified in the package, but I don't think it's somethin one needs to know in order to build a package.

Andrew