Date:      3 Jun 96 21:13:20 JST
From:      Motonori Shindou <T0682740@pmail.tepco.co.jp>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: route command w/o metrics (why?)

Hi,

> Just out of curiousity: Why does the BSD route command not require
> a metrics parameter? It happened to me that I forgot to give
> the metric on a HP-UX machine resulting in the fact that the
> gateway did not get the G flag (netstat -r) and it took me a hell of
> a time to find it out.

My understanding:

  Even in the system that requires metric parameter in route command
  (e.g. SunOS), "metric" doesn't mean much. It just has a meaning whether
  it's zero or non-zero. The former creates a routing table for
  directly-connected host/network (without -G flag) while the
  latter creates one for not-directly-connected (with -G flag). It
  doesn't matter whether the metric is 1, 2, 3 or whatever greater than
  zero. This is probably the reason why recent system (including FreeBSD)
  doesn't require metric parameter in the route command. Since a routing
  table for a directly connected network is created when the interface
  is initiallized with ifconfig command, 'route add' comamnd creates
  an entry for not-directed-connected host/network in the routing table.

Is this understanding correct? Is there any usage of the metric
parameter in route add command? One possibility is the case it's
compared with the metric exchanged by RIP, but I'm not sure...

===
Motonori Shindou
Tokyo Electric Power Comany, Inc.