Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:34:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        lee.burns@mosby.com (Lee Burns)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radius problems?

According to Lee Burns:

> Hi, I retrieved Merit Radius 2.4.3 from the FreeBSD site but cannot
> seem to get authentication of even simple "dumb" IDs.  I'm trying
> to use a realm of my domain and forward non-realm or null requests
> to another server.
>
> I don't define any users in the users file but specify realm & Unix-PW
> which *should* mean lookup in /etc/passwd then determine dumb, ppp,
> etc.
>
> How in the heck does it figure out about the special non-shadow copy
> of passwd which actually has the passwords in it?  Does Radius
> *actuall* work on 2.1.5?  Does anyone have sample authfile / clients /
> users files they can forward?

That version is so old that I can't remember when it was released!  :-)

The latest released version is 2.4.23C from the public FTP site:

   ftp://ftp.merit.edu/radius/releases/radius.*.tar.{z,gz}

it is wooking in hundreds of places and even runs on FreeBSD!  :-)

The way you specify users is up to you, but I would not put any of
them in the users file.  When you specify Authentication-Type = Realm
you imply that the RADIUS server should next look in the authfile (by
the realm of the user: user@realm).  In there is should find the type
of authentication to use (by realm) on the entry for that realm.

If you want UNIX type password lookup (/etc/passwd) then the authentication
type you would place in the second field of the authfile entries is UNIX-PW.

The shodow or non-shadow-ness of passwords is handled by the operating
system when the RADIUS server calls getpwnam(3)...

And yes Merit RADIUS actually works on 2.1.5!  Other Merit questions to me.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley, N8NXN              Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ What's all the fuss over the end of the century with mission critial ]
[ programs failing due to dates?  If people simply started using Roman ]
[ Numerials the problem vanishes!  MCM = 1900 MCMXCIX = 1999 MM = 2000 ]