Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 20:29:02 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Luke Downey <gnawing_beaver@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New to *nix, having some hiccups :-)

Luke Downey wrote:
> 3) FreeBSD does not support my NIC.  However, there is a Linux driver
> for it, so I was wondering if it'd be possible (Linux binary
> compatibility help here?) to use that driver.  It's the Linksys WMP11
> wireless card.

Not in any way that I know of. Drivers are pretty OS dependent, so they
load before the Linuxlator loads.

> 4) I have a Radeon 8500 graphics card.  X doesn't support this yet, but
> I was wondering if the Rage 128 driver (most current ATI driver listed)
> would work well enough that I could at least get higher resolution
> and/or color depth.

Not sure, it'll probably be some poking & hoping.
I've never come across a vid card that I couldn't get to work in SVGA
mode. While not great, you can usually get 1024x768 @ 16bpp out of it.

> 5) After I get X set up with a suitable video driver and get my mouse
> working, how can I configure it to start automatically with a given
> window manager after Logon?

You can either configure xdm to start (the file to edit is /etc/ttys)
or you can configure your users login script to start X at login. The
login script in use depends on the shell you use.
If you use the first method, .xsession in your home directory controls
which window manager is started.  If you use the second method, .xinitrc
in your home directory controls which wm is started.
There's a lot of info about this in various man pages: "man x" and the
man page for the shell you're using will help.

> a. How can I customize the boot manager (it's listing Windows 2000 just
> as "???" on the boot menu, just a little cosmetic thing here, not major
> :-D)

You'd have to hack the source code. I'm surprised that nobody's done this
yet and comitted it - maybe I'll make the change and submit a pr - maybe
I'll find out the source code is more complicated than I think ...

> b. Can FreeBSD mount NTFS partitions (the aforementioned Windows 2000
> partition)?

Yes. DO NOT DO THIS until you read "man mount_ntfs" as there are some
warnings about writing to NTFS from FreeBSD. I would suggest you make
backups, and you may want to mount the filesystem read-only.

> Again, thanks in advance, and if anything here is really obvious, just
> shoot me ;-).

*BANG*
Oops ... sorry, nothing you did - I've just got an itchy trigger finger ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology