Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:33:29 -0800
From:      "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java binary support in FreeBSD ...

At 01:42 PM 3/1/97 +0800, you wrote:
>Extending it to cover DOS binaries, etc, wouldn't be hard (for dos .EXE
>Dont' you look for 'MZ' at the beginning of the file? Com files will be
>different, since they are just an image of a segment of code to throw in
>memory, with no real discernable headers.

Its more than looking for the executable module signature of DOS binaries,
isn't it? I mean, DOS binaries have some pretty funky and backward memory
management requirements. You've got to create a virtual chunk of so-called
"real memory" for it, becuase dos will load an address selector/offset,
turn around and do something else in its brief, broken, sickly way that
only it can manage, then come back to that selector and due to the
ravages (to DOS) of virtual memory management, suddenly find what it
expected to be in that selector gone, and break. I mean, theres just
a whole lot more to emulating DOS than that.