Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:49:00 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multia - 3.0-19981124-SNAP - report

> MIKE (curtis shouted from across the net) T H A N K  Y O U !!! (smile)
> IT WORKED.

Coolness.  Thank Paul Richards for fixing it this time. 8)

> I am very happy to say I now have an FreeBSD/Alpha 3.0-19981124-SNAP
> running on my Multia VX42 I CAN (now) WRITE TO!
>
> I did run across a few things:
>
> # /sbin/disklabel -B da0
> /sbin/disklabel: /usr/mdec/daboot: No such file or directory
> # ls -l /usr/mdec/
> total 14
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6872 Nov 24  1998 boot1

That's arguably a bug in disklabel; it needs to be updated to use /boot
now instead of /usr/mdec.

> Starting final network daemons:.
> setting ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat
> setting a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
> ldconfig: illegal option -- a
> usage: ldconfig [-Rmrsv] [-f hints_file] [dir | file ...]

That looks like a bug in /etc/rc; it's trying to run the a.out ldconfig,
but that doesn't exist on the alpha.

> Initial rc.alpha initialization:.
> rc.alpha configuring syscons: blank_time/etc/rc.alpha: cannot open
> /dev/ttyv0: no such device or address

Syscons isn't running; that's normal (but irritating).

> and, ...if i do not set -flags option after the install and boot dva0 ,
> it brings me to the prompt without any error messages.

Check the flags you've got set in the SRM console; it looks like you're
defaulting to coming up single-user.  If you hit ^D at the prompt, it
should continue into multi-user mode.