Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:08:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/12377: doc patch for login_cap.

	Nope, I did read the docs, hence the patch to the manpage to make
it stand out more clearly.  I still am of the opinion that "default" should
mean "default" for everyone.  AFIK, there are no other fields in passwd
that have different interpretations/defaults depending upon the UID.  This
is why I made my remarks about this being a violation of the principle of
least surprise.

	My PR took the very conservative approach of just amplifying the
documentation rather than making any funictional changes whatsoever.  If a
patch that make "default" the true default for all user and then explicitly
set root's default class to 'root' would be accepted, I am willing to
provide one.  IMHO, this would be cleaner.  The semantics of multiple
default values boggles my mind.

cheers,

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 23:56:17 +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the login_cap system.  Could
> > someone who is versed in it please take a look at this PR (text included)
> > and let me know whether or not the suggested patch is correct.
>
> Quite often, we receive requests to improve documentation that are born
> out of a failure to read that documentation correctly. I think this PR
> might be one of those cases. Have a look at the login_cap(3) manpage,
> into which I suspect the submitter may not have dug deeply enough:
>
>      The functions login_getpwclass(), login_getclass() and
>      login_getuserclass() retrieve the applicable login class
>      record for the user's passwd entry or class name by calling
>      login_getclassbyname().  On failure, NULL is returned.  The
>      difference between these functions is that login_getuserclass()
>      includes the user's overriding .login_conf that exists in the
>      user's home directory, login_getpwclass,() and login_getclass()
>      restricts loookup only to the system login class database
>      in /etc/login.conf. login_getpwclass() only differs from
>      login_getclass() in that it allows the default class for user
>      'root' as "root" if none has been specified in the password
>      database.  Otherwise, if the passwd pointer is NULL, or the user
>      record has no login class, then the system "default" entry is
>      retrieved.
>
> Regards,
> Sheldon.

	Adrian