Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2021 16:32:53 +0100
From:      Christoph Brinkhaus <c.brinkhaus@t-online.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg crashes several times a day

Am Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 09:28:11PM +0700 schrieb Victor Sudakov:

Hi Victor,

> Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > I know it's stupid, and you can forgot my answer, but did you recompile from
> > > sources i915kms.ko module? The one which come with pkg is buggy.
> >
> > No, I did not, just installed from pkg. I'll recompile/install from the
> > ports if you advise so.
>
> Well, I've recompiled and installed graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, now my
> drm_info output looks like this: https://termbin.com/481e
> I shall see how often Xorg will crash now.
>
> But really, is the graphics/drm-kmod port really necessary and why? The
> default FreeBSD installation already contains /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko
> and /boot/kernel/drm2.ko, and I load them from rc.conf.
>
> Is anything wrong with them?

According to the FreeBSD Forum the packages are build for the oldest
supported branches. For the 12 series it is currently 12.1. The
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod is one of the very rare cases where is a conflict
between FreeBSD-12.1 and FreeBSD-12.2 exists. Therefore it must be
build from ports for FreeBSD-12.2 installations until FreeBSD-12.1 is
end of life.

Kind regards,
Christoph